An exploration of the historic sugar industry in Asia and important issues pertaining to the conservation of such heritage will take place at the Taichung Cultural and Creative Industries Park from May 30 through Aug. 31.
Sugar was an extremely sought-after commodity during the colonization of Asia, and retracing its industrial development has given rise to regional connections and patterns of the overall modernization of Asia. It also formed an indelible backbone for Taiwan's collective memories of earlier years.
For this exhibition, the Bureau of Cultural Heritage held an open call for sucrose history projects discussing "the genealogical investigation of industrial culture and the global connection," of which the 20 winning entries from India, Indonesia, Japan, and Taiwan that will be on display are:
- Rise and Fall of Sugar Industries in Indonesia / Hasti Tarekat Dipowijoyo
- Java Sugar Industries 1925 / Ir. Krisprantono
- Sugar Story – an empowerment narrative: from slavery to cooperative self-help economy in India / Sonal Mithal
- Photography of Sugar Industry in Northern Part of India / Rajendra Kumar
- Sugar Industries in North Sumatra, Indonesia / Yulianto and Badan Warism Sumatra – The Sumatra Heritage Trust
- Sugar Industrial Heritage in Hokkaido, Karafute and Okinawa / Makihiko TSUJIHARA
- Sugar Refinery Reused – Ten Drum Rende Sugar Cultural Creativity Park / Ten-Drum Cultural Creative Group
- The Continuation of the centennial sucrose culture Sugar Fu Printing Creative Museum / Chi-Cheng FENG
- Sugar Farming Team / Taiwan Sugar Research Institute, National Science and Technology Museum, Shao-Fen WU, Yun-Ya CHEN
- The Old Story of Taiwan Corp. / Taiwan Sugar Research Institute, National Science and Technology Museum, Yun-Ya CHEN
- Migratory Matters: Remomory and Reworking in Mattau / ArchiBlur Lab
- The Mechanical Harvesting, Loading and Shipping of Taiwan Sugarcane Industry / Nai-Yi HSU
- The Sugar Township in Tainan – the Memory, Culture and Industry Recovery of Making Sugar in Yanping Community / Zhi-Feng YAO
- Classic Highlights․Digital Legacy / Shou-Ju YANG
- Showing Living Content of Sugar Industry in Sugarcane / Taiwan Sugar Corporation
- The Change of Sugar Equipment in Xihu Sugar Refinery – About the Cane Unloader / Sun High Gene Information Co.,Ltd., Taiwan Sugar Corp. Zhongzhang Operation Branch
- Kotobuki Sugar Factory / Yee-Jung TSENG
- Douliu Sugar Factory Employee Life Note / You-Qing LING, Yu-Ru HUANG, Zhi-Gang LIAN, Chun-Yu LIN, Yu-Xing CHEN, Wei-Lun XIE, Ya-Qi HSU
- Travel Route-Sugar Trip: The Culture of Sugar in Tainan City / Yi-Ru PAN, Ya-Zhu HSU, Mei-Xiang WEN, Yi-Yu LIAO, Ching-Wen LIANG
- The Fool Push a Train: The Sweet Journey Story of Xihu Sugar Factory Transition / Ching-Jen YANG
The exhibition will be held alongside the 1st Forum on Asian Industrial Heritage – "Multilateral, Sharing and Collaborative: Developing a Common Vision of Asian Industrial Heritage" – taking place at the Taichung creative park on May 30 and 31.
The summit aims to provide a platform for multilateral communications, information sharing, and transnational collaboration among Asian countries regarding industrial heritage. Speakers will include experts from the International Committee for the Conservation of the Industrial Heritage.
Read the full text of the Taipei Declaration for Asian Industrial Heritage here.
‘The Footprints of Asian Sugar Industrial Heritage’