Open Call: 2018 Taiwan International Festival of Arts
National Taichung Theater
2018 Taiwan International Festival of Arts
Call for "CONNECTION" Program Series Project Proposals
The National Taichung Theater (NTT) has launched the "CONNECTION" program series, as part of the Second Taiwan International Festival of Arts (NTT-TIFA) to be held in 2018. Under the artistic direction of renowned French interdisciplinary artist Christian Rizzo, the 2018 NTT-TIFA Program Series will offer unique content and showcase exceptional works by artists from Taiwan and abroad.
With the main theme of “CONNECTION”, the 2018 NTT-TIFA will focus on the dialogue, communication and conflicts among diverse artistic fields (e.g. Performing Arts, Visual Arts and New Media), industries (e.g. Manufacturing and Digital Technology) and the sciences (e.g. Astronomy, Physics and Biology) to encourage innovative experiments and collaboration. As a result, NTT is expected to serve as a stage for presenting a diversity of connections.
- Legal entities, public and private organizations/groups/educational institutions and individuals are eligible to apply.
- Note: For Taiwan-based applicants: political parties or affiliated groups are not eligible (excluding institutions of higher learning).
- If submitting a collaborative project proposal, all collaborating entities and/or individuals must sign a cooperation agreement, a copy of which shall be enclosed with the project proposal.
- Individual applicants shall be at least twenty years of age at the time of submission of application.
- There are no restrictions on the form of the performance as long as it complies with the concepts and goals of the program. The performance length shall be between 20 and 40 minutes and the proposed project must be an original work.
- The entities or collaborating entities must not be governmental departments, political parties or religious groups.
- Nominated projects will be invited to perform during the 2018 NTT-TIFA at NTT’s Black Box.
III. Application process
- Application Deadline: April 15, 2017 (last date of postmark).
- Application form: The application form can be downloaded from NTT's official website (www.npac-ntt.org).
- (1)The application shall be filled out in English.
- (2) For organization/institution: copy of representative’s passport information page or other relevant ID, and organization registration certificate.
- (3) For individual applicants: please provide a copy of your passport information page or other relevant ID.
- Submission guidelines:
- Please provide 8 copies of the application in hardcopy printed on A4 paper, and 1 copy in electronic format on CD-ROM.
- Postal address:
- Programs & General Planning
- National Taichung Theater
- No. 101, Sec. 2, Huilai Rd., Xitun District, Taichung City 40756, Taiwan
- Please specify "2018 TIFA-CONNECTION Program Application" on the envelope.
- Contact for enquiries:
- Ms. Po-Chieh CHEN
- Programs & General Planning
- Telephone/+886-4-2251-2333 Ext.5823
- E-mail/ firstname.lastname@example.org
IV. Review process:
- All of the submitted projects will be reviewed by the 2018 NTT-TIFA curator, Christian Rizzo, Director of the ICI—Centre Chorégraphique National Montpellier Languedoc-Roussillon, and the members of the NTT committee.
- Stage one: Document review. No more than 6 project proposals will be selected for the second stage review.
- Stage two: Interviews will take place April-May 2017.
- During the interview, the nominated groups/individuals will explain their projects and answer questions posed by the curator and the members of the NTT committee. Online interviews can be arranged for those who cannot attend in person and for international applicants.
- The review criteria include originality, feasibility and artistic potential.
- Candidates who successfully pass the second stage will be granted an advance of NT$80,000 (including VAT/tax) for production development for the final stage of review.
- Final stage: The nominated projects are requested and are to be arranged by NTT for the work-in-progress showcase in August 2017.
- Please prepare 10-15 minute showing of the nominated project.
- The review criteria include artistic expertise, potential for interdisciplinary collaboration or the use of technology, potentiality and relevance to the project proposal.
- There will be no more than 5 projects selected for public performance at NTT’s Black Box. The grant for production and performance will be no more than NT$1,000,000 (including VAT/tax).
- International applicants can also apply for funding from their own countries, and the sponsors will be acknowledged in the program pamphlets and related marketing materials of NTT.
V. Announcement of finalists: Finalists will be announced on the NTT website in September 2017, and informed by email and phone.
VI. Terms and conditions of public performances
- The public performances will take place March–May 2018 at NTT's Black Box.
- NTT provides rehearsal rooms and stages in the Black Box for the selected groups/individuals, subject to availability.
- The selected groups/individuals will be required to sign a contract with NTT in regards to project implementation, funding and cancellations.
- The selected groups/individuals may use the facilities of the venue free of charge.
- NTT will provide technical assistance and assist with promotion of the public performance. Every nominated project is required to assign a producer responsible for communication, administrative work and technical coordination.
- If the budget exceeds the grant awarded by NTT, the nominated group/individual can seek additional funding elsewhere. Please note that Taiwanese applicants may not have received grants for this project from Taiwan’s Ministry of Culture or National Cultural and Arts Foundation.
- The nominated groups/individuals shall implement the projects as approved by NTT. If changes are deemed necessary, notice shall be given to NTT, which will then accept the changes or cancel the application.
- NTT reserves the right to invite outside professionals to participate in the production process and provide consultation relating to the project.
- NTT will evaluate the performances, and the results will be provided to the selected groups/individuals as a reference.
- The selected groups/individuals shall agree to provide relevant visual images and written documents without affecting the copyright of the original works.
- NTT reserves the right to modify these terms and regulations.
Download the application package: