- Chinese Name: 台灣豫劇團
- Year of Establishment: 1950
- Founders: Zhang Xiu-yun (張岫雲), Li Jiu-tao (李久濤)
- Did You Know That …?
- The Taiwan Bangzi Opera Company is the sole preserver of its craft in Taiwan. The stylized opera is named after the Bangzi region of Henan Province.
- Site: http://bangzi.ncfta.gov.tw
About the Troupe
Originally a subordinate group of the Ministry of National Defense, the Taiwan Bangzi Opera Company started off as a performance troupe based in Kaohsiung that was responsible for entertaining soldiers from Henan Province of China, where that form of opera originated ... (read more)
- “Women Are Renamed” examines the lives of 28 women against the backdrop of war across three thousand years of time and space. Bangzi diva Wang Hai-ling (王海玲) also plays herself in a retrospective of her theater career. The production was released to commemorate the sixtieth anniversary of the Taiwan Bangzi Opera Company ... (read more)
- “Bond” is the first Shakespearean adaptation by the Taiwan Bangzi Opera Company. Extending the storyline of “The Merchant of Venice” to a medieval Chinese city, the play explores the dual meaning of “bond” – protection and restriction in the contexts of race, law, justice, friendship, love, gender, and marital fidelity ... (read more)
- “Granny Liu” is a character from “Dream of the Red Chamber (紅樓夢),” one of China’s four great classical novels. She resides in the countryside and rarely visits her distant and posh relatives at Rongguo Mansion. However, her appearances are marked with amity and comic relief, and her age and forthright nature commands even the respect of the Dowager ... (read more)