Literature | A New Wave of Reading
- Chinese Title:「閱讀新浪潮」
- Official Website: readingwave.moc.gov.tw
“A New Wave of Reading” was established in 2013 to promote the habit of reading by evoking the public sway of celebrities and famous figures.
Each appointed ambassador holds several intimate sessions to read aloud literary passages, share his or her favorite reads, and explain how reading can has inspire change in one’s professional and personal lives. In 2013, over 2,700 individuals attended the 9 sessions that were held across the nation.
To broaden the scope and impact of the “A New Wave of Reading” program, the Ministry of Culture has also recruited its four subordinate agencies — the National Living Arts Centers in Hsinchu, Changhua, Tainan, and Taitung — to organize the sessions across the nation’s 18 special municipalities and counties.
Previous spokespeople for the program include:
- Veteran actress Brigitte Lin (林青霞)
- Comic artist Cory (顆粒)
- Novelist and blogger Giddens Ko (九把刀)
- Actor-singer Wilson Chen (陳柏霖)
- Filmmaker Tsai Ming-liang (蔡明亮)
- Television drama director Jyu You-ning (瞿友寧)
- Publisher and illustrator Hao Kuang-tsai (郝廣才)
- Nature lover and writer Liu Ke-shiang (劉克襄)
- Aboriginal novelist Ahronglong Sakinu (亞榮隆•撒可努)
- September 2014 > New cultural ambassadors to promote reading in Taiwan
- November 2013 > Golden Bell-winning Wilson Chen to promote reading
- November 2013 > 'A New Wave of Reading' heads for Yilan
- October 2013 > Award-winning comic artist Cory to promote reading