The Spotlight Taiwan Project seeks to invite foreign universities and institutes to engage in cultural partnerships with Taiwan.
Notable partners in this project include the University of London, the Los Angeles and Berkeley branches of the University of California and the Heidelberg University in Germany.
Gateway to Taiwan
To promote international cultural exchanges and cultivate a greater interest in and appreciation of Taiwan’s culture worldwide, public and private resources are being brought together for the Spotlight Taiwan Project, which will run from 2013 through 2016.
Leading universities and mainstream art, culture, academic and research organizations are being contacted to establish long-term, substantive cooperative relationships. A diverse array of enriching activities that promote Taiwan’s culture and research on Taiwan will be held abroad in support of this project.
The Republic of China’s Ministry of Culture is now accepting applications from universities/organizations that wish to participate. Organizers of the following types of events are welcomed to apply:
Courses, lectures, symposia and workshops with research on Taiwan as their focus.
Art and culture activities with Taiwan’s culture as their theme.
Exchanges and collaborative efforts related to Taiwan’s cultural and creative industries or cultural policy development.
The Ministry may provide funding support up to a maximum of US$50,000 per year for an approved project. The actual amount will vary depending on the project’s scope. Proposals for 2013 activities must be received by the end of May. For more information, please review the project details and the FAQ section.
- July 2013: UCLA joins Spotlight Taiwan
- August 2013: UC Berkeley joins Spotlight Taiwan
- August 2013: Statement of clarification
- October 2013: University of Edinburgh joins Spotlight Taiwan
- November 2013: Ministry launches Spotlight Taiwan in Japan
- November 2013: Singapore's SIM University joins Spotlight Taiwan
- November 2013: UBC joins Spotlight Taiwan
- November 2013: Taiwan Film Festival kicks off in Edinburgh
- February 2014: Taiwan film screenings at the University of London
- February 2014: Taiwanese child dancers to perform at Tokyo Dome
- February 2014: Author Wu Ming-yi to speak at UC Berkeley
- March 2014: Taiwan's indigenous crafts under spotlight in Japan
- May 2014: Kinmen Peace Bell replica gifted to U. of Scranton